So you’re considering a paywall but aren’t sure which direction to go?
There are various strategies from hard-paywalls, soft-paywalls, free trials, donations, memberships, etc.
Generally, we recommend trying all options, but there’s one method that works especially well.
Most users that land on your site will not automatically subscribe unless they’re able to access some of your content for free at first. Lets explore a model that we’re seeing success with here at PaywallProject.
We’ll call this model, the free registration wall. Here’s how it works:
- Give away 1 free article per month to everyone
- Afterward, ask readers to subscribe for free for 2 additional articles (add user to newsletter too)
- Send a weekly newsletter with stories to free subscribers
- Newsletter story clicks eat up 2 free articles
- After 2 free articles are used, ask readers to subscribe for $
This particular model will grow your newsletter, keep your free audience engaged, and eventually bring them on-board paying for your content.